Ex-premier Greg Selinger to step down as Manitoba MLA on March 7 - GistBuz

Latest

Another News Mag ;)

Visit Our Partner!

Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Ex-premier Greg Selinger to step down as Manitoba MLA on March 7

Former Manitoba premier Greg Selinger is set to step down as member of the legislature for St. Boniface next month.

The announcement comes a week after NDP Leader Wab Kinew asked Selinger to resign in the wake of inappropriate touching allegations against former MLA Stan Struthers.

Struthers, who was a cabinet minister in Selinger's government, has apologized after five women, including a former NDP cabinet colleague, accused him of several instances of inappropriate touching dating back at least eight years.

Two more women have come forward since the initial story was published by CBC.

Last week, Selinger expressed sympathy for the women who came forward and said he must take responsibility for what happened under his leadership. However, he said he wasn't ready to relinquish his role as MLA, despite the request from Kinew.


Selinger's full statement

A week ago I held a media availability to apologize to the women who were the victims of sexual harassment by one of our former MLAs — the member from Dauphin — during my time as premier and leader of the NDP. The focus properly should have been on hearing their voices. It wasn't and I want to apologize for contributing to that.

Also a week ago I stated that I was interested in a transition strategy from being an elected member of the legislature back to being a citizen subject to meeting with the constituency executive. That has happened and today I can confirm that it is my plan to retire as the member of the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba for St. Boniface. I want to thank the constituency executive for their support and advice. It has been a privilege and an honour to serve the citizens of St. Boniface and I wish to thank them for their encouragement to continue. I will cherish the experience forever.

To my family, your commitment, love, and views have made it all worthwhile. Over the next two weeks my staff and I will put the ongoing work of the constituents of St. Boniface in order. The formal resignation date will be March 7.



from CBC | Top Stories News http://ift.tt/2okO5z1
http://ift.tt/eA8V8J Source Link

No comments:

Post a Comment